I love Google Analytics

Earlier today I installed google analytics.  I have 22 page views. (21 from US 1 from Canada). Hello readers.

Here are some tips for those who have not used Google Analytics before:

1. I searched “Google Analytics” in the plugin search of word press and went to the second page of results and chose the one that was called “Google Analytics”

2. The plugin shows up in the settings area of your Dashboard and all you need to do it put in the UA-XXXX-XXX code that your google analytics account provides for you.

3. In your Google Analytics Tracking Code/Tracking Status page make sure you set it to “one domain with multiple subdomains” in case we create any other subdomains through our sites.

4. Wait. It should take no more than 24 hrs for reports to come in.

5. Google Analytics doesn’t update in real time. This means if you want to see who visited your site on say the 19th you’ll have to come back and check the report on the 20th. Not a big problem just something you should know.

I had attached google analytics to two of my projects for Dr. McClurken in the past. One was a Pearl Harbor Project last semester and it was amazing to watch the increase in views of my site the day of and before and after the anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor. Those days caused the pie graph of traffic sources to change from referral sites (other people from my class looking at my project from a link on Dr. McClurken’s site) to search engines. I found it incredibly interesting, then again, I am a nerd.

Good luck! And now I shall stop flooding the DS106 site and go to bed.

5 Comments so far

1.   Jim Groom on January 19th, 2011

Excellent,

Love you shared this out so quickly, this is a valuable resource, and nice to know the Google Analytics plugin was so easy to use. Also good point about including subdomains should we create more spaces, which many of you probably will.

And it is obvious that being a nerd has its real advantages.

2.   Kaitlin on January 19th, 2011

Megannnn,

Might need your help with this one. How do I know if this plugin is working? I said “authenticate with google” and picked my blog site to enable the tracking janx for, but I don’t know if I have to enter that XX-XXblahblahblah code, because I don’t have a place in my dashboard settings to plug a code in (not to mention I don’t know what the code should be). Soo, bascially, how do I know if google analytics is working?

3.   Jim Groom on January 19th, 2011

Megan,

This is so cool to see your post providing class mates help, what’s more, bully for you Kaitlin for asking it. This is the virtuous cycle of sharing hard at work right here.

I love it!

4.   MeganMc on January 19th, 2011

No problem. Just wanted to say I didn’t leave Kaitlin hanging, it was just easier to head down to her room and explain it in person 🙂

5.   David Mc...the old man on January 20th, 2011

“…it was just easier to head down to her room and explain it in person :)”

Ah, but no one else will share in your knowledge.

I use StatCounter to log page hits. The advantage of it, over Google Analytics, is that it is real time. You just need to paste the code into each page you want to track.

http://statcounter.com/