Color Splash Gif Tutorial

I decided to make a separate how to post rather than have it clutter up my color splash gif post 😀 (You can click any of these pictures and they will take you to a bigger version.)

This is the way I colorized my gif as seen in this post, I’m sure there’s an easier way but my minute or so search on google wasn’t revealing anything. It wasn’t that difficult just tedious because of the amount of frames. Hope this helps… or rather, I hope this doesn’t confuse you more.

I used KMPlayer to extract the scene I wanted from the movie. You can set it to how many seconds of film you want it to take and then save it. Then I went to photoshop and opened the frames I wanted into individual documents(? I don’t think that’s the word I’m looking for but oh well.)
In all it’s 14 frames, and I’m glad it’s not more because the process was a bit much to color splash each frame.
I duplicated the layer of each frame.

I then desaturated the top layer by going to image > Adjustments > Desaturate or Shift + Ctrl + U works too

This made the top layer black and white. I used the art history brush to “color” in the light saber. Really it’s just taking the blue from the layer beneath to color it.

I ran into a bit of a problem at first when the art history brush was just making everything white. This was because when I opened a new window in photoshop the background was white, after glaring at my screen for a couple of minutes I saw the option of making the background of a new window transparent and everything went perfectly fine after that.

I saved every frame and then went to file > scripts >Load files into stacks.  This put all 14 frames

^ There you can see the frames loaded into the layers indicated by the red arrows. There’s fourteen frames, and thus fourteen layers.

In the animation bar, click the button indicated by the red arrow. You will see a menu pop up and click “Make frames from layers.”

All the frames have now been put in the animation bar. Click the play button (circled in red above) to check the speed/see if the gif is not moving backwards. This one was so I had to click the thing circled in blue and choose reverse frames.
If the gif is moving too fast select all of the frames in the animation bar (click the first one, hold down shift and click the last frame) and then click the 0 sec thing on any of the frames (I’ve circled one on green). This is the amount of delay on each frame, I generally use .01 sec or .02 sec but it’s up to you.

To save the gif so you can upload it go to file > save for web & devices. There you can preview your gif again and if you like it hit save.  This will take you where you can name your file and hit save again.  Then all you’ve got to do is upload it. I use the media library on my blog but there are certainly other places you can upload it to.

1 Comment so far

1.   Lou McGill on February 16th, 2012

fantastic work and thanks very much for the tutorial. – now on my long list of things to do when I catch up with ds106

my son did some star wars animated gifs last year so this might inspire him.

need a red light sabre one I agree; )