Animated Magazine Cover

Well, this took a lot longer than I expected. I think it’s pretty ok even with the hair bouncing around a bit but that’s because I got lazy. Whoops. My least favorite part of this was my attempt to recreate the clouds in the background. Basically I took the Doctor Who Entertainment Weekly Cover and cut out the still of the Doctor. I had to recreate some of the font (only for it later to be covered up by the gif). Then I took a gif from an episode of Doctor Who and that was that. A little bit more description can be found in the read more section.
What the original looked like:  So I had a fair amount of recreating of the background. I did discover two nifty tools to use in photoshop while working on this: the background eraser tool and the content-aware fill feature.
The background eraser tool shows up in photoshop as a circle with a crosshair in the middle. It then erases all the pixels within the circle that match the one(s) under the cross hair.
The content-aware fill feature looked like it would be useful, especially while trying to recreate the background once I erased the Doctor. It could be useful in other projects but for this one it just didn’t work. The content-aware fill feature is a way to repair damage to a photo, but I think this one was just too big so the result was something like
which made me laugh, then sigh, because I am lazy. I stink at describing this feature, so if you don’t know about it check it out in action in this video tutorial.

2 Comments so far

1.   Paul on October 15th, 2012

That’s really good. I think the hardest part about doing something like this is the background – filling in behind the original image – but you did that beautifully. I like the way you have him moving in front of the type on the right side, yet have the BBC scab on the top layer. Isolating Dr. Who from whatever was behind him in the episode must have been a lot of work. Awesome!

2.   areeves on October 15th, 2012

I absolutely love this! I kind of think the hair bounce is kind of cute. :) Great job.