Colorize It

I know the DS106 classes are out of the Visual/Design Assignments now but you know what? they’re my favorites and since I’m an open participant I’m just going to stick with them since there’s no grade for me. :)
I recently tried my hand at the Colorize It assignment. I’m surprised that more people have not done it. First I had to find a black and white photo to recolor, so I took to the internet. I spend entirely too much time on the internet and remembered a post I’d seen on Buzzfeed: 50 Unexplained Black and White Photos ( the person who made the article also has a tumblr which has even more ridiculous black and white photos). I chose this one colorizeit1aA navy sailor brushing a taxidermied fox head while a cat sniffs it. I found it hilarious. The other ones in the post looked a little harder to colorize/figure out what the colors might’ve been before, and since this was my first attempt I chose a relatively easier one.
It didn’t take too long and, in my opinion, didn’t turn out too terribly bad. colorizeit1 And while I was initially worried about his skin color perhaps being off, it turned out the orange of the fox and the cat were the big problems. Despite how much I tried reducing the hue/saturation/lightness of that particular color it just seems to stick out cartoonish-ly. It didn’t help that the cat was, I assume, a calico cat. But this was really fun, I will probably do a couple more.

I didn’t color the boat because it was the background and rather difficult to get the color to look right. Besides I’m sure the boat was grey anyway.

1 Comment so far

1.   cali4beach on March 3rd, 2013

that photo is FRIGHTENING! but great job, i love it haha